Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finding Yourself

Sorry for taking forever to blog! It has been a busy week and it just getting busier! Here is an update for you all!

Last Wednesday had an opportunity to meet Renee and she came to talked with us and after had a lunch at our bungalow with the staff and her. For those who do not know, Renee is how this whole organization started. Her story is about how people around her came to her and gave her hope and help she needed. I encourage you all to go read her story if you have not read it (TWLOHA.COM ). She was so real, raw, humble and shy but she was not afraid to express her thoughts and feelings and how she is and where she is at life. It was great for us to let her know how many e-mails we get about her and how she is such an inspiration to people still today. Everyone in the room cried, laughed, talked or sat in awe of her because her speaking was just so genuine and kind-hearted to us all. This was a perfect time for me to hear her speak because at that time I really needed someone’s encouragement about the e-mails we receive and she just said all the right words I needed to hear that day.

Work has been good. We been answering e-mails and starting new projects the staff assigned to us. We are getting more involved in other things within the organization and it is really exciting. We started training today for IMAlive which is going to be a place for people struggling with suicide to come online and talk with trained people to offer them help, someone to listen to them, and give them the words they need to hear at that time. I am truly excited about this program and really think it is going to help people who are going through hard times and need someone to talk to. The training is very intense and a lot of reading and knowing thing and to be honest it is a little overwhelming but in the same time I am so excited to see what I get out of this and how afterwards I will be able to help others in desperate need.

This weekend I went to the BEACH with Brandi and Erin and we all had a great time. This was an awesome experience where the three of us just talked about how: we are doing, anything we are having a hard time with, and how we can help each other. This is a great example of community for me this week, because I had a chance to get to know these two awesome girls and be vulnerable and have a honest conversation with them. For me opening us to people after only knowing them for 2 weeks is not my thing, but since I have been here I just keep stepping out my own comfort zone and opening up to more people and learning I can trust them with what I tell me. I feel this way with all my roommates, which honestly I didn’t think I would before I came here. I am really learning a lot about being a community of girls. In being proud of who we are and how we have such a powerful voice and story to tell other women and girls who don’t feel this way.

It is interesting to figure out you always are learning more and more about yourself. You think you have life figured out or know what and how you will be but I am finding out I am learning more about myself everyday especially since I have been in Florida. I think I am realizing whom I was.. helped make me who I am today but.. also where I am today is showing me who I need and want to be in my future..

Thanks for reading this and I would love to hear back for you all on how things are going for you! Miss everyone and love you all!!

With Hope,

Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    Thank you for posting and keeping us in touch with all the who's what's and when's you are doing with your life in Florida. I'm in Awe of your emails and postings on your blog. It always sounds overwhelming but honoring at the same time. I'm sure the experiences you are having are way different from what you've been brought up with. The great part of all this is that they're all God related and I'm so proud that you have kept Him your number one.

    Does it seem awesome to actually put things to work from all the years of college?

    Know that we are proud and excited of you and the great things that you have to come.

    We are all doing well. It finally stopped raining and the weather is gorgeous. Dad is back at mountainside and me well you know there is always tomorrow!

    Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. I guess I better start cleaning out my stuff I've put into your room. Hee Hee

    The dogs miss you. They love on Alicia thinking it's you when she comes over on Monday nights.

    Take care and always remember we LOVE you mucho~ muchacha!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete